Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Thinking About Truth During a Pandemic (W.o.W. Rewind)

The following post was written in March of 2020. It felt relevant to me today as we face another wave of COVID, I hope it encourages you. 

****

My family has spent the last eight days quarantined in our home awaiting test results that would tell us if our four month old little girl has COVID-19. The night before all this began our four month old threw up. Then we noticed she was running a fever and coughing. The next morning we called her pediatrician. I was certain the doctor would not want us to bring our baby in during this pandemic and would simply tell us what to watch for instead. She called us in. When the doctor came into our room she was wearing a protective gown, gloves, a mask and a face shield. Nurses spoke to the doctor and slipped testing items to her through a crack in the door instead of coming into the room. These were all necessary precautions. My anxiety increased. They decided to test my daughter. I thought we would know in three to four hours max. They said it would be three to four days. That was eight days ago.

Understandably the lab has been overloaded with tests. We just found out this morning that our daughter's test came back negative. She does not have COVID-19. Over the course of this past eight days there were many times when I was sure the test would come back negative, but there were also times when I thought about the potential danger of it being positive and of this virus killing our sweet little girl. A few times during the week as I held her in my arms and sang to comfort her an intrusive thought slipped into my mind. What if I have to hold my baby in my arms just like this and sing to try to comfort her in vain while she dies?

Now, if I had indulged that thought I could have lived in fear of it all week and the enemy could’ve gained some power over my mind. But instead, I thought on what was true. Yes, this virus is dangerous, that’s true. Yes, my daughter could have had it. And yes, I could not guarantee that she wouldn't die from it. All of these were true, but they were only half truths because I didn't even know yet if she did have it. So I chose to think on the greater truths of God. I reminded myself that God is good, that God is in control, that He has a plan, and that nothing will come to pass without His say so. I chose to fix my minds on these truths.
In God's good providence I was preaching on Philippians 4:8 this past Sunday which has to do with just this topic. "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

It's hard to know what’s true in our world today. Scripture tells us that Satan is a liar. In fact, he is the father of lies and half-truths. He has deceived the whole world. He holds power over the people of this world through his misinformation. You and I cannot afford to let him into our heads. How do we keep his lies out? By thinking on what's true. Fix your thoughts on what you know to be true, that is on God and His Word, including His gospel. Think on the things that have been proven true by these.

Be careful to filter your thoughts through the Truth during this difficult season of anxiety.

No comments: