Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Are You Alive?

To the angel of the church in Sardis write:
These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead.
Revelation 3:1


The church at Sardis had a reputation of being spiritually alive, but their reputation didn't match their reality. Jesus saw past their false reputation and pronounced them dead!

I can’t help but wonder how many churches that have a great reputation are actually dead?! How many churches whose pews may be full of people, whose worship services may be the envy of many smaller churches around them, are really spiritually dead?

And I can’t help but wonder how many of the people in our churches who have a reputation for being spiritually alive are actually dead? How many people enter your church week after week just to play a part. They can dress for church with the best of them. They can sing hymns and praise choruses with the best of them. They can pray and read their Bible in Sunday School with the best of them. But on the inside, in their heart of hearts…they are DEAD! There is no spiritual fire, no obedience, no faith, no Holy Spirit, no salvation.

And I can’t help but wonder, are you one of those people? Are you dead? You may have a reputation for being spiritually alive. But are you really dead? You may have been able to fool many people into thinking you’re a Christian. You may have even fooled yourself into thinking you are saved. But you haven’t fooled God. And right now in your spirit you hear Him saying, you are dead!

Stop playing the part. Stop trying to fool everyone else. Stop fooling yourself and you can experience real spiritual life today. Ask Jesus right now to forgive of your sins. By praying something like this in your heart… 

Dear Heavenly Father, I know I am dead inside. I have sinned against You and I need Your forgiveness. I believe that Jesus took the punishment for my sin on the cross. I believe He rose from the grave to give me new life. I confess Him as Lord of my life right now. Forgive me. Save me. Change me. Fill me up with your Spirit right now. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: