Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Thirsty

As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, my God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?
Psalm 42:1-2


Psalm 42 begins with an arresting description of the Psalmists longing for God. Imagine a deer that has been fleeing a predator. Imagine how thirsty it must get bounding with such speed through meadows and woodland, darting at the smallest sound, running for its life. If it could speak I imagine it would say "I'm dying of thirst!" It pants and longs for a cool drink of water. Have you ever been there? I know I have. Well, that feeling captures how the psalmist feels about God. His soul cries out, thirsty and desperate for his God. He feels as though he will die if he doesn't enter God's presence soon. 

I've been there before. I can remember actually being excited to go to bed at night because I couldn't wait to get up in the dark of the early morning hours to commune with God, to feel His presence, and to worship Him with no one else around. Yes, I've been there before, but it's been a while. Lately, it's been a struggle just to drag myself out of bed in the morning. Then I have to motivate myself to open God's Word instead of opening my phone. Maybe you can relate. 

If so, join me in praying and asking God to give us the longing, the spiritual thirst that Psalm 42 speaks of. Let the cry of your heart be "Lord, make me thirsty!" And let's commit together to get up early tomorrow and drink deeply from the well of Living Water. And may our souls be refreshed, and may we learn to long for Him above all the cheap imitations this world has to offer

No comments: