Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Burning a Hole in My Pocket

My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
John 14:2-3


The fact that Jesus is preparing a place for the believer in Heaven means that she has no need to prepare one for herself here on earth. She doesn't have to live in fear of the future and hoard wealth to provide for herself. Her future is well provided for already! This frees her up to live as Jesus commanded: to take up her cross and die to herself, to live on faith forgoing treasure and comfort here on earth in order to store up more treasure in Heaven. 

The believer is reminded by these verses that this world is not her home. She is simply passing through. She won't be here long, and she would be wise to join Jesus in His work of preparing a place for herself that will last for eternity. But that isn't how most believers live is it? No. 

It reminds me of my many years in youth ministry. Whenever I would take a group of middle schoolers on a trip to a theme park, there was always one kid who couldn't manage his money. That $20 bill was burning a hole in his pocket. He'd spend half of it at the first gas station on soda and candy. He was living like a king on the way to the theme park. All the other kids were jealous, but by the time we actually got where we were going, he was broke. He didn't have enough money left for lunch. There he was asking kids if he could have a bite of their lunch or borrow some money. Inevitably, me or one of the other adult leaders would buy him some food. This middle school kid perfectly captures how so many believers approach life on earth. Some of you are living in style right now, but you are in danger of being a pauper in Heaven. You've forgotten that you'll only be here for a short time. You're just passing through. If you aren’t careful you'll spend all your time, energy and resources enjoying the ride and forget to save up for the final destination.

Be wise. "Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:20-21).

No comments: