Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Nehemiah Leadership

From the time that I was appointed to be their governor in the land of Judah... twelve years, neither I nor my brothers ate the food allowance of the governor. The former governors who were before me laid heavy burdens on the people and took from them for their daily ration forty shekels of silver. Even their servants lorded it over the people. But I did not do so, because of the fear of God. I also persevered in the work on this wall, and we acquired no land, and all my servants were gathered there for the work. Remember for my good, O my God, all that I have done for this people.
Nehemiah 5:14-16 & 19


Those who fear God use their authority not for their own gain but as an opportunity to bless and serve His people. This is pleasing to God and will result in their reward in due time, even though in this life it often means hardship. 

I became a senior pastor six months ago after serving in youth and children's ministry roles for more than a decade. I knew that becoming a senior pastor meant more authority. I also knew that in the church more authority means more responsibility, more hardship, more service. I wasn't climbing higher to rule, I was stooping lower to serve. And this has proven true through my first six months. The demands on my time and the needs crying out for my attention have only increased. 

It ought to be the case in our churches and in Christian families that the higher you climb the lower you go in service. Jesus models this for us. "The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Mark 10:45) Jesus had more power and authority than any other man in the history of the world, but He refused to use it to advance His own cause choosing instead to serve others. In the verses preceding this quote He commands us to do the same. “You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all." (Mark 10:42-44) 

How many of us actually do this though? It is so very tempting to think that whatever position of authority we have attained has come to us because we paid our dues and that now is the time for us to reap our rewards. But this is an unchristian way of thinking. It is out of step with the gospel and out of step with Jesus. So, who do you need to be serving? Most of us have authority over someone. Is it your kids? Your employees? Your Sunday School class, youth group, or kid's ministry? Wherever God has given you leadership and authority, no matter how small, use it to bless and serve those beneath you. It glorifies Him and gives you a good name as you do so. Plus, it will secure for you a sure reward for Heaven.

No comments: