Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Join Me in My Struggle by Prayer

I urge you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me.

Romans 15:30



When we offer fervent prayers on behalf of our brothers and sisters in Christ during their time of trial, in a very real sense, we enter into their struggle and strive alongside them for the victory. Through prayer, we muster spiritual weapons on their behalf, we step onto the battlefield, and we climb down into the foxhole with them to fight alongside them. In other words, in prayer we take up the burdens of others and we make their struggle our own (Galatians 6:2). This is why prayer really matters. 

As of late, it has come into fashion to mock the idea of sending "thoughts and prayers" someone's way after a tragedy. I understand why many have attacked this phrase. They are convinced that more practical help or even solutions to the problem at hand are being withheld by people who insincerely hide behind this phrase. But Christians especially would do well to consider more carefully the implications of how they make this argument. Regardless of where one stands on the issues, prayer is a powerful and meaningful way for us to struggle on behalf of others. 

When I struggle in prayer on someone else's behalf I accomplish far more than I could on my own. Through prayer I bring more than my own human strength could offer to the situation. I marshal divine strength, wisdom and resources to their aid. No doubt this is no reason to withhold the practical help that it is at my ability to dispense. But no one, least of all Christians, should impugn the power of prayer in an attempt to urge people to do what is in their power to do. Let us never forget that Jesus Himself is always interceding on our behalf at the Father's side (Romans 8:34). Would we dare to criticize His 'thoughts and prayers'?

So, take action! Pray! And as you pray may God's Spirit increase your eagerness to do all that is within your power. Through prayer, you can encourage believers in North Korea. Through prayer, you can help lead people to salvation. Through prayer, you can help comfort the grieving. And through prayer you can follow the example of Christ who is always interceding on our behalf. So, pray for someone today!

No comments: