Wednesday, March 25, 2015

He Daily Bears Your Burdens

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens.
Psalm 68:19


The pace of my life can sometimes feel like a crushing burden to me. There are so many things I need to do. Then there are those things that I know I will never be able to do. And the list of things I feel guilty for not having already done. Sometimes, it feels like too much. 

That's why this verse jumped out at me the other day. It was exactly what I needed to hear from the Lord. It is as refreshing as a drink of cool water to me. I need to be reminded periodically that I am not alone. That God is with me. That He daily bears the burdens of His children. God's salvation extends far beyond forgiveness of your sin.

Psalm 68 praises God for saving and caring for His righteous people in a number of ways. It depicts God as taking a special interest in the weak and "bearing their burdens." He is a "father to the fatherless, a defender of widows" (vs. 5). He "sets the lonely in families" (vs. 6). He frees prisoners (vs. 6). He provides richly for His people (vs. 7-13). Maybe some of these identifiers describe you. Maybe not. For you it may be debt collectors, broken relationships, an overcrowded schedule, an impossible boss or unruly children that weigh you down. 

Whatever your burden, remember that God daily bears it up. Being reminded of that brought a powerful peace into my life. I pray that it would for you as well, and I urge you to take Jesus' advice...
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. - Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: